On May 7, 2018, Amnesty International published Crushing Humanity: The Abuse of Solitary Confinement in Egypt’s Prisons. The document exposes human rights abuses that Essam and Gehad have suffered at the hands of Egyptian prison authorities. It makes specific reference to:
- the use of solitary confinement as a method of torture;
- the denial of family visits;
- denial of bedding;
- denial of nutritious food;
- denial of necessary and adequate medical care;
- the use of solitary confinement during pre-trial detention.
The link to the official English document can be found here: https://www.amnesty.org/en/documents/mde12/8257/2018/en/